Are you suffering from chronic musculoskeletal pain associated with diabetes mellitus? Have you tried all forms of treatments and not gained any relief? Have you heard of Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT), the all-natural alternative to pain relief treatment? Studies have shown:
- OMT significantly reduces diabetes-associated lower back pain in 12 weeks
- OMT may affect the levels of glucose and increase the secretion of insulin.
- OMT helps manage diabetic musculoskeletal complications such as adhesive capsulitis.
- OMT is used along with other traditional therapies to treat carpel tunnel syndrome and Dupuytren contracture associated with diabetes.
Diabetes is a chronic condition characterized by increased levels of sugar in the blood. It is caused by the inability of the pancreas to produce the hormone insulin, which is responsible for maintaining normal levels of sugar in the blood, or the insensitivity of the body to the amount of insulin produced. There are two types of diabetes:
- Type I diabetes: The pancreas produces little or no insulin, and diabetes develops when the body’s immune system destroys the pancreas cells. It is also called insulin-dependent diabetes or juvenile-onset diabetes as it is commonly seen in children.
- Type II diabetes: The pancreas usually produces normal levels of insulin, but the body becomes resistant to the hormone. It is associated with inactivity, obesity and genetic factors. Also called adult-onset diabetes, it occurs mainly in adults, but is becoming more common in children because of the increase of childhood obesity.
Uncontrolled diabetes mellitus may be associated with numerous musculoskeletal conditions such as rheumatic conditions. Effective treatment of diabetes should be the cornerstone of managing the condition.
For a list of articles supporting OMT, please click here.