The status of a one’s overall health and well being contributes greatly to an individual’s quality of life. It comprises of:
- A healthy body that is equipped with a sound immune system, which forms the first-line of protection from infections and diseases, and enables properly functioning organs.
- A healthy mind that is relaxed and clear of emotional and physiological stress.
When the body is injured or attacked by a foreign body, it responds in the form of pain, which is a signal sent out to your brain to indicate a problem in the body. It tells us that something is not right and we may need some form of medical treatment. Despite it being a natural response, extreme pain can have a negative impact on your overall quality of life and emotional wellbeing.
Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment (OMT) may be the answer for you.
Studies have shown:
- Osteopathic techniques increase lymph flow, to prevent fluid accumulation (edema) and enhance the immune system to treat infections.
- OMT reduces pain, stress and muscle tension, and promotes relaxation.
- Various osteopathic treatments can help women suffering from primary dysmenorrheal (painful periods).
- OMT can be used as an adjunct with opioids to treat pain following surgery.
- Osteopathic manipulation can prevent the complication atelectasis and provide faster recovery after surgery.
- OMT decreases sympathetic nervous system activity.
- OMT positively affects human secretory immunoglobulin A (sIgA) levels, thereby providing a preventive, protective and therapeutic effect in healthy people, those at a higher risk of upper respiratory tract infections, and.hospitalized patients experiencing high emotional or physiological stress.
For a list of articles supporting OMT, please click here.